Aberfeldy 12 Years Old (40%, OB, 2018)
- Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky
- Origin: Aberfeldy Distillery
- Bottling: John Dewar & Sons, Bacardi Ltd.
- ABV: 40%
- Cost: £35.33
What they say
The Golden Dram
A honeyed dram with notes of spices, vanilla and a hint of smoke.
What I say
Sampled during the #ItsDramTime #HomeofDewars Tweet tasting held on 9th May 2018 with Greg @GreatDrams
- Appearance: Full amber gold (10/20), slow medium droplet tears and medium legs
- Nose: Honey, lots of it, a touch of malt and orchard fruit, pineapple and grapefruit, creamy toffee and fudge, on revisit honey and fruit in equal measure up front there’s also a fresh malted barley note accentuated by the chocolate
- Taste: Syrupy thick honey initially then a touch of spice, cinnamon, and woody oak & rosemary wood, leather, orange peel, vanilla fudge and creamy highland toffee on revisit, slightly more honey and fruit in the palate and again a fresher barley malt notes
- Finish: Medium, pineapple and ginger upside down cake & drying oak, woodier and more spiced perhaps after the chocolate
Deliciously honeyed dram rather quite simple appearing at first but actually quite complex. Tasting with dark chocolate highlighted honey and fruitier notes on nose and palate and accentuated the oak wood and gentle spices of the finish, I liked how the chocolate was drying but the whisky mouth-watering.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review