Jura 30 Years Old 1986 Single Cask (42.5%, WM Cadenhead, Bourbon Barrel, 66 Bottles, 2016)
- Category: Island single malt scotch whisky
- Origin: Isle of Jura Distillery
- Bottling: Cadenhead’s
- ABV: 42.5%
- Cost: £140.65
What they say
Distilled at the Isle of Jura distillery in 1986 and matured for over 30 years in a single (ex-Bourbon) cask before bottling in 2016 producing 66 bottles at 42.5% ABV.
What I say
Yum, a 30 year old Jura and right about the time I was forgoing sherry and peat monsters as I had found my ex-bourbon groove. I’m told everyone eventually reaches a point where only ex-bourbon whiskies really make you sit up and admit you have stumbled upon something really special.
Overlooked, routine and almost a bit boring and vanilla – with age Bourbon maturation occasionally (or eventually) hits a rather huge sweet spot and becomes sublime. As a Jura fan, the statement Jura and 30 were enough on this bottle, the fact it is a single cask bottling from Cadenhead’s just convinced me that it was going to exude quality.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Dark amber, caramel gold (11/20), medium tears and legs, sparse
- Nose: Creamy, sweet and spiced, red berries, summer fruits, spiced nutmeg, toffee/caramels/butterscotch, cream, malted barley, a touch of peat smoke, gristy, oat biscuits, honey, hob nobs, instant/cool whip
- Taste: As the nose, sweet and creamy, whipped vanilla/Chantilly cream, light caramel sauce, crème brulee, butterscotch angel delight, a lot of orange peel/oil, malty, toffee, creamy coffee or coffee with evaporated milk or powdered milk (over creamy), almond milk
- Finish: Medium, toffee, honey, some spice, drying. nutmeg
Liquid Chantilly cream on red berries and oodles of Jura’s fabulous butterscotch, refined, beautifully deep with that luxurious creamy taste and texture, not much more required.
Shop for Jura whisky (opens Master of Malt)
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit a link to your review
Leave a Reply