Highland Park 12 Year Old 2005 Gatwick WDF (66.4%, OB, Refill Sherry Butt #1140, 540 bottles, 2017)
- Category: Island single malt scotch whisky
- Origin: Highland Park Distillery
- Bottling: Edrington, Single Cask Series, London Gatwick and World Duty Free
- ABV: 66.4%
- Cost: £104
What they say
We’ve teamed up with London’s Gatwick Airport to launch an exclusive Highland Park single cask bottling. This will mark the opening of Gatwick’s new North Terminal World Duty Free store later this month. With just 540 bottles available, this is an extremely limited edition, only available at the new store from 26th October  and priced at £104.
Drawn from an ex-sherry refill butt made from Spanish oak, and bottled at a cask strength of 66.4% ABV, this single cask is a characteristically sweet and lightly smoky expression of Highland Park with an aroma of sweet vanilla and delicious notes of orange peel and oak.
If you’re travelling through Gatwick on the 26th, do stop by the new store to join in our tasting session and have your bottle signed by Highland Park’s brand ambassador, David Francis. We’ll also be running a live Twitter tasting and Q&A session on the World Duty Free Twitter feed to share the launch with our wider Highland Park tribe and whisky aficionados world-wide.
What I say
After receiving the invite for this twitter tasting I decided to fess up and be honest, I work office hours and so there was no way I could join in on twitter on the Monday afternoon that this was launched. Apparently it was rather a quiet tweet tasting affair as many more unscrupulous bloggers and influencers accepted the invite, received their sample and then just didn’t join in. No place for you in Valhalla, I’m sure.
As luck would have it our good friend Tom at Tom’s Whisky Reviews was passing through Gatwick that very day for work and managed to snag a rather healthy sample of this and so shared some of it with us. So after being refused a sample as I wasn’t able to take part on the day I ended up getting some of this anyway.
Distilled in 2005 at Highland Park and matured for 12 years in a single refill butt previously conditioned with Oloroso sherry, this cask was selected to become an exclusive for Gatwick’s new World Duty Free store opening.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Dark golden bronze (13/20), slow, fine droplet tears with long fine legs
- Nose: Malty and syrupy, heather honey, crème brulee – vanilla and burnt sugars, floral violets & daisies, earthy and dusty peat smoke, mossy, a touch of ash, orange, peach, apple, pear plus blossom too, cinnamon apple pie and clotted cream ice cream, toffee and caramel sauce.
- Taste: Sweet and spirit, red fruit jam, baked apples, apple pie filling, orange, stewed/baked peach and nectarine, malty, toffee, touch of tannic leather, heather honey, honey biscuits, lemon & lime curd, sticky toffee pudding with dates, tannic and drying, peppery, smoked toffee apples
- Finish: Long, malty, sweet heather honey, ginger, chocolate and pepper
Absolutely delicious at full strength, massive impact and tonnes of flavour, a little water made this one quite peppery and still more brought out oak and some of the subtler flavours but we preferred it at full strength.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit a link to your review