The Quiet Man 8 Year Old Oloroso Cask (46%, OB, 950 Bottles 2017)
- Category: Irish single malt pot still whiskey
- Origin: Bushmills Distillery
- Bottling: Niche Drinks
- ABV: 46%
- Cost: £36.83
What they say
8 Year Old Sherry Cask Description
The Quiet Man 8 Year Old Sherry Finish has been aged in 1st fill 200Lt Bourbon Barrels for 7 years and finished in Bodegas Garvey Sherry 500Lt Butts for a further 12 months. The Butts used have housed Oloroso Sherry for 32 years before the Single malt, with only 950 bottles produced, so really a one off. The intention is to release a yearly 12 Year old Sherry Finish from October this year.
The Quiet Man Craft Distillery Company Tasting Note
- Nose – “Wonderful light ruby reddish purple, Fabulous sherry sweetness underlain with floral fragrances and hints of creamy “butteryness”.”
- Palate – “Sweet caramel, vanilla, and floral overtones with a hint of berries.”
- Finish – “Wonderfully long and creamy finish like dessert in a glass!”
The Quiet Man Sherry Finish Single Malt Whiskey Facts
- Country/Region – Ireland / Derry/Londonderry
- Sub-Region – Rossdowney Rd
- Operations – Mark Short
- Distillery – Quiet Man Craft Distillery (2018)
- Distillation – Copper Pot Still
- Ingredients – 100% Irish Malted Barley
- Aged – 7 Years 1st Fill Bourbon Barrels – 1 Year Oloroso Sherry Butts
- Alc – Btl – 46% – 70cl
For more information on The Quiet Man, please visit:
What I say
This bottle I won in the raffle at the Evening with the Blenders 2017 at the Scotch Whisky Experience. Presumably leftover judging stock (i.e. as by the labels often found affixed to these bottles) are entered into a charity raffle for which you have the chance to pay £20 to receive one ticket which automatically wins a bottle of either Scotch or International whisky, guaranteed to be worth more than £20. The last bottle I won several years ago was Yoichi’s 20 Year old shortly before it was discontinued (result!). Last time I won The Singleton of Glendullan Spey Cascade, not a bad sipping dram but seemed the least exciting of the bunch compared to other bottles won.
This one I was quite excited by as it was a very limited release of Oloroso Sherry Butt used finished The Quiet Man’s bourbon-matured Irish pot-still whiskey expression.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Copper red (12/20) medium tears with fine legs.
- Nose: Sweet, toasted marshmallows, strawberries and cream, foam bananas, cereal barley, vanilla, leather tannins, slightly dusty and dry and dried fruits; raisin & prune
- Taste: Fruity and sweet; fresh strawberries sweetened with granulated sugar, toasted marshmallows & Marshmallow Fluff, orange oil, & zest, red berry jam, raisin, some spice and heat such as chilli flakes
- Finish: Medium-long, the sweeter elements persist
Actually quite light-bodied with an airiness and sweetness very reminiscent of marshmallow, plenty of red berry fruits and some dried fruits and touches of tannins too, this has gained all the right elements from its finshing time in Oloroso casks and is very enjoyable indeed.
Shop for The Quiet Man 8 Year Old – Oloroso Sherry Cask Finish (opens Master of Malt)
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit a link to your review
Categories: Quiet Man
1 reply »