Domaine Christian Drouin 15 Year Old 1990 Calvados Pays d’Auge (42%, Alchemist, 2005)
- Category: Calvados Pays d’Auge
- Origin: Domaine Christian DROUIN
- Bottling: Alchemist
- ABV: 42%
- Cost: Sold out
What they say
15 year old Calvados, bottled by Alchemist. This is produced at Domaine Christian Drouin, a Calvados producer of legendary esteem.
This bottling shows the majesty and complexity that make Coeur de Lion the star of Calvados and after 15 years in the cask, the various elements begin to unfold slowly.
What I say
Bottled by The Alchemist but produced at Domaine Christian Drouin, 2017 was a good year for Christian Drouin as their 1989 vintage picked up Calvados of the Year Award in the World Calvados Awards.
As we are about to sample this next I thought it may be better to start on another slightly lesser matured example to get a feel for the Domaine’s output.
I selected this 15 year old partly as it was inexpensive and partly as it was rapidly going out of stock and it may have been my last chance to try it.
Distilled in June 1990 and bottled July 2005
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Light bronzed copper (12/20), medium-large tears and sparse & oily/viscous medium legs
- Nose: Fruity and almost slightly smoky, apple must, dried or dehydrated apple chips or apple rings, sweet honey, golden syrup and fragrant orchard blossom.
- Taste: Sweet honeyed fruit, quite simple on the palate, gently drying with a powdered spice, some woody tannins, polished toffee, butterscotch and chocolate, a bitterness creeps in with white pepper, liquorice root and almost chilli heat.
- Finish: Medium-long, drying spices persist
Not too fruity, this expression leans heavily towards the maturation flavours of tannic and woody spices, I’m still slightly bemused by the almost wood smoke aroma on the nose and a very dry apple smell. Takes time to open up on the palate like toffee or chocolate that needs to be melted on the tongue before its flavour starts to release. Still, excellent quality and hugely enjoyable!
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit a link to your review