Williamson 6 Years Old 2010 Strictly Limited (46%, Càrn Mòr, Refill Sherry Butt, 950 Bottles, 2017)
- Category: Islay teaspooned malt scotch whisky
- Origin: Laphroaig Distillery
- Bottling: Morrison & Mackay, Càrn Mòr – Strictly Limited Collection
- ABV: 46%
- Cost: £38.96
What they say
An interesting release from the Càrn Mòr Strictly Limited range – a single cask bottling of 6 year old Williamson blended malt (which some of you may know is a teaspooned whisky – almost completely single malt from one distillery, with a minuscule drop of single malt from another distillery). This was drawn from a refill Sherry butt, producing 950 bottles.
What I say
Named after the famous female manager of Laphroaig Bessie Williamson, this teaspooned malt hails mostly (if not entirely!) from Laphroaig distillery though they claim to throw in a teaspoon of something else to prevent use of the distillery name once this is bottled.
A rather large refill sherry butt has been bottled here by Morrison & Mackay for their Càrn Mòr Strictly Limited range and it is just fabulous!
Thanks to Tom at Toms Whisky Reviews for sharing this one with us.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Dull or oily straw gold (4/20) medium tears and long fine legs.
- Nose: Campfire, with a touch of burning car tyres, smoked almonds, dried raisin, treacle, briny, bbq hotdogs, scallops – smoked, shellfish and sea spray.
- Taste: Earthen and smoky like leaf mulch on an autumn bonfire, but also sweet and spiced, meaty, coffee grounds, nutty smoked almonds with a sprinkling of sea salt and even honey, malty peat-smoked barley, grist, peanut brittle, roasted cashews
- Finish: Long, rubbery smoke subsides, sweet and salted nut and shellfish meat lingers ending in rubbery nut brittle (try saying that after a few!)
Delicious *Laphroaig* briny peat smoke and sweetened sherried maltiness at its finest. These Islay whiskies really do drink well young before the peat influence dissipates with over-maturation.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit a link to your review
Categories: Single malt