Springbank 9 Years Old 2006 Open Day 2016 (58.7%, OB, Refill Marsala HH, 276 Bottles, 2016)
- Category: Campbeltown single malt scotch whisky
- Origin: Springbank Distillery
- Bottling: J & A Mitchell & Company
- ABV: 58.7%
- Cost: £50
What they say
We have three exciting bottlings which will be bottled especially for Springbank Open Day 2016. The first will be a Springbank Aged 9 Years which has been matured in a Refill Marsala Hogshead, bottled at 58.7% with only 276 bottles available. This will retail at £50.00 on the day.
What I say
Bottled especially for Spingbank Distillery Open Day during the Campbeltown Malts Festival 2016. This was Dram #1 from Moxie’s Festivus for the rest of us #2 (2016 edition). A rare chance for those unable to make either the Campbeltown Malts Festival or Feis Ile (Islay Festival of Malt & Music) to sample some of the bottlings that were exclusively on offer.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Blonde gold (6/20) long fine legs with medium-sized tears
- Nose: Light honey, gentle spices, caramelised sugars, condensed mile toffee, cinnamon, candied roasted nuts, Mashuga Nuts (cinnamon coated roast pecans), new leather shoes, demerara sugar, crème brulee top, hot smoked lemon salt
- Taste: Sharp & spiced, candied nuts, leather, lemon and lime citrus, popcorn, malted barley, biscuit, icing sugar, lemon juice and salt some herbality to this one, with water eucalyptus and clove oil erupt.
- Finish: Long, drying, sharp and citric, blonde oak, salty, leather, lemon & rosemary
Gentle & light!, refreshing, sun-baked leather, salt, dry new wood all combine to be quite palate cleansing, not your average Springbank it would seem!
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit a link to your review
Categories: Single malt