Review: Springbank 15 Years Old 1999 Rum Cask 300
- Category: Campbeltown single malt scotch whisky
- Origin: Springbank Distillery
- Bottling: Whiskybroker Cask No 300
- ABV: 52.8%
- Cost: £52.71
What they say
Former Rum Barrel Cask No 300
Distilled 8th October 1999, Bottled 28th October 2013, 87 bottles at 52.8%
- Nose – Zesty lime, cut green apple, musky deodorant (men’s, bright, sweet and spicy), blonde wood. When I first opened the bottle this was pretty workaday but as ever, a couple of months later it’s showing its true potential. Bright, refreshing, complex and clean. Lovely stuff.
- Body – Deep toffee, spicy and with good Springbank sulphur, loads of oil and character and malted barley. Tobacco and old shelves. Goodness me this is good.
- Finish – Long, perhaps a little bitter, with chilli and coffee tones. Very long actually, engines and musky toffee right at the end, and then even, a little winey with Putty Rubber (took a while to dredge that out of the memory banks!).
What I say
Part of a pair of Springbank expressions bottled by Whiskybroker late 2014, this one was matured for 15 years in a former rum barrel. Many thanks to Ben @BensWhisky for sharing this with us.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Very pale gold/white wine (1/20) loose large tears with slow and oily medium legs
- Nose: Gentle fruity; apple, pear, peach, grapefruit citrus, light biscuit malt, hint of dusty chalk, fresh grapefruit with salt and white pepper, hint of herbal lemongrass
- Taste: Zesty orange and lemon peel & pith, tannic and leathery, astringent, spiced white pepper, apricot, peach, grapefruit, sour & bitter, dry woody oak/sawdust, a hint lactic, lemon barley sugars, a light caramel or toffee – like toffee sauce, salted
- Finish: Medium, sweet & sour, caramel topped biscuits and grapefruit
This has a lovely polished toffee/spun sugar feel (i.e. the type that makes your teeth feel cleaner or polished after eating!), sour and salty this is quite nice and moreish.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit a link to your review