Whisky Review: Laphroaig 15 Years Old 1998 Unchillfiltered
- Category: Islay single malt scotch whisky
- Origin: Laphroaig Distillery
- Bottling: Signatory, Unchillfiltered collection
- ABV: 46% ABV
- Cost: unknown
What they say
Distilled at Laphroaig distillery on 22/9/1998 and matured for a full 15 years in refill sherry butt #700385 before bottling unchillfiltered at 46% on 26/6/2014. Producing 839 bottles.
What I say
Thanks to Richard (WOLS President) & Carrie for sharing this with us during a tasting evening. This expression was distilled at Laphroaig distillery on Islay in 1998 and matured for a full 15 years in refill sherry butts before bottling unchillfiltered at 46% ABV by Signatory.
My tasting notes:
- Colour: Red gold with thick heavy tears
- Nose: Fruity, light raisin, strawberry, salted caramel, resinous and woody smoke and peat smoke
- Taste: Sweet, strawberry and vanilla cream ice cream, some gentle cereals, a healthy dash of sea salt and plenty of thick and oily peat smoke/beach bonfire
- Finish: Medium long, sweet and peaty
An interesting mix of real creamy and gently fruity ice cream flavours with a dash of salt and plenty of thick peat smoke. Somehow this combination really works for me and is verging on a heavily peated session dram though I suspect either sickly sweetness or more likely peat reek would take over before too long. Enjoyed it while it lasted.