Glenmorangie 10 Years Old Original
1. What they say
The original expression of our elegant, floral spirit and the real backbone of the Glenmorangie range. A ten-year-old single malt, Glenmorangie Original is produced by marrying the delicate spirit that emerges from Scotland’s tallest stills, with first and second fill American white oak casks.
It is here, maturing for ten long years in a range of ex-bourbon casks such as our famous slow-grown and air-dried ‘designer casks’ from Missouri, that our raw spirit develops a perfect balance between sweetness and complexity. Resulting in a mature spirit that is soft, mellow and creamy. Perfect for enjoying at any time.
2. Official tasting notes
- Colour: Pale lemony gold
- Aroma: The scent of citrus and ripening peaches is softened by the aroma of vanilla.
- Taste: First, vanilla is detected on the tongue before it ripples along the palate bringing a burst of flowery fruitiness.
- Finish: About a minute after tasting, you are left with a clean and salving aftertaste with hints of orange and peach.
- ABV 40%
- Age 10 Years Old
- Bottler OB
- Bottling The Original
- Cask 1st and 2nd fill American white oak
- Category Single malt scotch whisky
- Cost £30-£40
- Origin Glenmorangie Distillery
- Region Speyside
4. What I say
We have previously bought and finished a bottle of Glenmorangie’s 10 Year Old (sixteen men of Tain version) long before we started the blog. I received this 10cl as part of the Pioneering Collection – perfect for trying out this the base 10 year old and the subsequent finished 12 year olds in Sauternes, Sherry or Port casks.
5. The Whiskyphiles tasting notes
- Colour: Full gold
- Nose: Lemony citrus, grassy, sweet honey, heather, malted cereal barley and butterscotch
- Taste: Silky, toffee, sweet honey, juicy fruits dominate such as tangerine and pear, cereal and vanilla
- Finish: Sweet and smooth, honey and fruits with a little ginger and pink grapefruit
Would I buy it again – Yes, I have developed a real respect for the 10 year old from Glenmorangie. It is incredibly smooth and drinkable. It is enjoyably not too sweet or challenging. Heather honey and fruits dominate in what is quite a subtly complicated whisky. Always room for more of this on my whisky shelf.