Glenfiddich 12 Year Old (40%, OB, 2012)
- Category: Speyside single malt scotch whisky
- Origin: Glenfiddich distillery
- Bottling: William Grant & Sons, Official
- ABV: 40%
- Cost: £30.95
What they say
Fresh pear, subtle oak
Carefully matured in the finest American bourbon and Spanish sherry oak casks for at least 12 years. Married and mellowed in oak marrying tuns for complete harmony of aroma and flavour.
A single malt Scotch whisky with distinctive fresh pear, creamy with subtle oak flavours and a long smooth and mellow finish.
The world’s most awarded single malt Scotch whisky*, this is our family’s signature expression.
What I say
Possibly one of the most popular/sold single malts their is. This Glenfiddich 12 Year Old kicks off our mini-vertical from the Glenfiddich distillery in Speyside.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Yellow/orange gold
- Nose: Sweet strawberry jam, summer fruits, red berries, floral and estery with malted chocolate milk
- Taste: Sweet and mellow, heather honey, hint of jammy sweetness, cereal, slightly waxy, red berry compote, depth of vanilla custard adds a richness to this expression
- Finish: Medium length and sweet, slightly fruity honey lingers, a little drying towards the end revealing the beautifully balanced mix of sherry and bourbon infused oak casks used
For a standard expression and at this price point I would be more than happy to buy the Glenfiddich 12 year Old – simply what is their not to like about this single malt? However it has a few older brothers – two of which are simply spectacular; the 14 year old Rich oak and 15 year old Solera. If you find either of these on offer it is not a hard decision to pick the older expressions, if not get the 12 it is damn good anyway!
Shop for Glenfiddich 12 Year Old (opens Master of Malt)
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review
Categories: Glenfiddich, Speyside
2 replies »