Region: Speyside, Scotland.
Water source: Local springs
Stills: 2x Wash 2x Spirit
Capacity: 1.8 million litres per annum
Strathmill is one of three distilleries within the Moray town of Keith at the heart of “Malt Whisky Country”. Unlike Keith’s other two distilleries of Strathisla and Glen Keith, however, Strathmill is not owned by Chivas (part of the Pernod Ricard group) but since 1997 by Diageo who operate it for the production of blends such as J&B whisky.
The site had originally been home to a corn mill, established by A. G. Johnstone as Strathisla Mills in 1823, but following a boom in the whisky industry between 1890 and 1899 it was converted into a distillery in 1891. Some of the buildings therefore date to before its whisky production days. It was during this era of high demand that some thirty other distilleries were constructed in the area.
It was in 1895 when gin producers W. & A. Gilbey bought the distillery that the name was changed from Glenisla-Glenlivet to its current name of Strathmill, the name deriving from the Gaelic word ‘Strath’ meaning “shallow valley” and “mill” relating to its former use.
Production equipment consists of two wash stills, two spirit stills and seven warehouses on site; five traditional dunnage warehouses and two racked warehouses. It has a production capacity of 1,800,000 litres of pure alcohol per year.
Strathmill whisky reviews:
- Strathmill 12 Years Old Flora and Fauna (43%, OB, 2014) - Strathmill 12 Years Old Flora and Fauna Single malt scotch whisky 43% ABV, £45 for 70cl Score: 84/100 What they say: Strathmill distillery was established in 1891 in a converted grain mill. […]
- Strathmill 13 Years Old 2004 Connoisseurs Choice (46%, Gordon & MacPhail, Refill Bourbon Barrels, Batch 18/020, 990 Bottles, 2018) - Strathmill 13 Years Old 2004 Connoisseurs Choice Whisky Review: A fruit burst of a whisky; delicious and juicy with hints of vanilla cream and butterscotch and spiced white oak wood. 84/100
- Strathmill 15 Years Old 1998 100.11 Picnic party dram (56.3%, SMWS, Refill Bourbon Barrel, 152 Bottles, 2014) - Strathmill 15 Years Old 1998 – 100.11 Picnic party dram Speyside single malt scotch whisky 56.3% ABV, £49.20 buy from SMWS Score: 86/100 What they say: Cask No. 100.11 The nose took us […]
- Strathmill 17 Years Old 1995 (43%, Signatory, HHs #2663 & #2664, 831 Bottles, 2013) - Whisky Review: Strathmill 17 Year Old 1995 casks 2663+2664 Category: Speyside single malt scotch whisky Origin: Strathmill distillery Bottling: Signatory ABV: 43% Cost: £35 What they say: This independent bottling of Strathmill […]
- Strathmill 30 Years Old 1977 Old Malt Cask (50%, Douglas Laing, Refill HH #4070, 302 Bottles, 2007) - Whisky Review: Strathmill 30 Years Old 1977 Old Malt Cask Category: Speyside single malt scotch whisky Origin: Strathmill Distillery Bottler: Douglas Laing; Old Malt Cask; Cask 4070 ABV: 50% Cost: £88.40 What […]