History The site had originally been home to a corn mill, established by A. G. Johnstone as Strathisla Mills in 1823, but following a boom in the whisky industry between 1890 and 1899 it was converted into a distillery in 1891. Some of the buildings therefore date to before its whisky production days. It was during this era of high demand that some thirty other distilleries were constructed in the area.

It was in 1895 when gin producers W. & A. Gilbey bought the distillery that the name was changed from Glenisla-Glenlivet to its current name of Strathmill, the name deriving from the Gaelic word ‘Strath’ meaning “shallow valley” and “mill” relating to its former use.

Production equipment consists of two wash stills, two spirit stills and seven warehouses on site; five traditional dunnage warehouses and two racked warehouses. It has a production capacity of 1,800,000 litres of pure alcohol per year.

The Whiskyphiles tasting notes

Official bottling
Independent bottling
Berry Bros & Rudd
Douglas Laing
Gordon & MacPhail
Scotch Malt Whisky Society