- Founded: 1786
- Status: Active
- Region: Speyside, Scotland
- Online: https://www.chivas.com/en-gb/the-story/strathisla
History Strathisla distillery is the oldest continuously operating distillery in Scotland. It was founded as the Milltown Distillery by George Taylor and Alexander Milne in 1786 as an alternative to the waning of flax dressing industry. He leased the land from the Earl of Seafield.
By 1830, the distillery was owned by William Longmore, later William Longmore Ltd. In 1879, the distillery suffered terribly from a fire, but was rebuilt with a bottling plant. Bought in 1940 by Jay Pomeroy, a fraudulent financier, it was later acquired in 1950 by James Barclay of Chivas Bros.
The Whiskyphiles tasting notes
- Strathisla 12 Years Old (2013) - Strathisla 12 Years Old (40%, OB, 2013) 40% ABV, £28 for 70cl. Score 68/100 What they say: Strathisla is produced by Chivas Brothers which is the Scotch whisky and premium gin business of […]
- Strathisla 13 Year Old 2003 The Distillery Reserve Collection (2017) - Strathisla 13 Year Old 2003 The Distillery Reserve Collection (58.3%, OB, 1st Fill Sherry Butt # 62274, 654 Bottles, 2017) Category: Speyside single malt Scotch Whisky Origin: Strathisla Distillery Bottling: Chivas Brothers, […]
Gordon & MacPhail
- Strathisla 1953 Gordon & MacPhail (2017) - Strathisla 1953 Speyside Collection (43%, Gordon & MacPhail, Sherry butt #1614, 258 Bottles, 2012) Category: Speyside single malt scotch whisky Origin: Strathisla distillery Bottling: Gordon & MacPhail, Speyside Collection ABV: 43% Cost: £1948.56 […]
- Strathisla 18 Years Old 1997 Samaroli (2020) - Strathisla 18 Years Old 1997 Samaroli Whisky Review: Super fruity, delicate and floral, I would never have guessed a virgin oak cask. 89/100