Strathisla 18 Years Old 1997 Samaroli
- ABV: 45%
- Age: 18 Years Old
- Bottling: Samaroli
- Category: Speyside single malt scotch whisky
- Cost: £sold out
- Origin: Strathisla distillery
- Vintage: 1997
What they say
Sampled from The Scotch Whisky Advent Calendar by Secret Spirits
The Scotch Whisky Advent Calendar
Become gift-giver of the year! (Even if you give it to YOURSELF)…
We travel to Scotland every year to hand-pick every barrel of Scotch that makes it into this extraordinarily rare advent calendar.
The majority of the whiskies in this calendar have never been tasted before, and will not be tasted again.
These bottles of cask-strength Scotch (along with a few blended malts that were too incredible to pass up) are exclusive to our calendar.
Go on a journey of Mystery, Discovery and Delight with this rare selection of whiskies, and you won’t return the same…
Each Edition comes with:
- 25 share-sized bottles (50ml) of one-of-a-kind Scotch Whiskies
- Edition Unique Whisky tasting glass
- Keepsake tasting note booklet
- Feature distillery postcard
- Collector’s lapel pin
Tasting notes from Jonathan Bray:
- Colour: Signature light colour from the new oak here from Samaroli. Even I have to give it a double take knowing that it is 18 years old. It literally almost looks like untreated white oak.
- Nose: Delicate to the extreme, had to get my wine experience going and swirl this one a little. Croissant with honey and butter, orange blossom, grande marnier.
- Palate: Ok what the heck just happened here – The palate just explodes, which I was not ready for after the subdued and delicate nose. Orange just burst on the scene now and all of the candied variety. Tiny super ripe mandarin slices, Orange sherbet cones. Remember those tiny little candy ice cream cones with orange sherbet crusted marshmallow. I remember those now because the little cone was always full of sherbet so when you took that final bite you got an explosion of tangy orange. For the love of all things whisky Samaroli, seriously how have you been hiding this new oak aging thing for so long.
- Finish: Yep you guessed it more orangey goodness that just keeps on rolling and rolling with lifted orange blossom notes keeping it all light and beautiful.
What I say
*Spoiler Alert* This sample was from The Scotch Whisky Advent Calendar 5th Edition (2015).
Distilled at the picturesque Strathisla distillery in Speyside in 1997 and matured for 18 years in a virgin oak cask #47821 and bottled by Samaroli.
This post was sponsored by Secret Spirits by provision of a sample of this product.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Light champagne gold (4/20), oily, fine tears and long thin legs.
- Nose: Soft, fruity and floral, apple, pear, pineapple, soft biscuity cereals, shortbread, honeycomb, golden syrup and heather honey.
- Taste: Medium-bodied, rich and fruity, sweet syrup, honey, orchard fruits and some stone fruit also, melon, tropical fruit salad, biscuity malt and fresh oak wood.
- Finish: A touch vaporous, initially sweet then sour oak wood
Super fruity, delicate and floral, I would never have guessed a virgin oak cask.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review