Fary Lochan 6 Years Old Batch 1 That Boutique-Y Whisky Company
1. What they say
That Boutique-y Whisky Company has gone and bottled up some delicious Danish single malt whisky from the Fary Lochan Distillery! Fary Lochan is rather unique, as it smoked its barley using nettles, making for an intriguing different flavour profile to peat-smoked whiskies and the like. This expression was aged for six years before being bottled up at 60.2% ABV, with a fairy tale-esque label…
Batch 1 is a release of 473 bottles.https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/fary-lochan/fary-lochan-that-boutiquey-whisky-company-whisky/
2. Official tasting notes
- Nose: A balanced nose of sweet chocolate and earthy coffee notes, with bright hints of fresh orchard fruits underneath.
- Palate: Cherry, fragrant smoke, heather honey, and the return of the chocolate notes.
- Finish: Quite long, with enjoyable bittersweet elements lingering.
- ABV 60.2%
- Age 6 Years Old
- Bottler That Boutique-Y Whisky Company
- Bottling Batch #1
- Category Danish single malt Whisky
- Cost £99.95 from Master of Malt
- Origin Fary Lochan Distillery
- Outturn 473
- Region Denmark
- Released 2022
4. What I say
Next stop on That Boutique-Y Whisky Company’s Norwest Euro Express we move to Denmark, this is my first Danish and Fary Lochan whisky I’ve tried. So nettle-smoked barley distilled and matured in an ex PX sherry cask!
5. The Whiskyphiles tasting notes
- Colour Dark orange gold (14/20), medium-large tears and legs.
- Nose Sweet, floral and fruity, orchard fruits plus strawberry and some dried fruits later, currants and sultanas, sherry, touch nutty, woody, malt loaf.
- Taste Fruity and soft, medium-full bodied, toffee, caramel, rich berries, fruit cake, some pencil shavings, woody oak appears behind the dried fruit and spices; cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Finish Medium-long, vaporous and a touch minty, cereal and mineralic.
Powerful at cask strength, the PX cask has worked wonders here with lots of dried fruit, nut and fruit cake however a little of the malt spirit comes through and some menthol/ herbal smoke appears in the finish. Plenty of wood influence when reduced.