Westland Sherry Wood
1. What they say
Sherry Wood is a new world approach to an old world idea. For decades, the use of ex-sherry casks for whiskey maturation has been a favored technique in Scotland and beyond. In marrying the decadence of sherry with our unique grain-forward house style we create something altogether new. Like the grain we source, we hold our sherry casks to high standards of quality. These casks held some of the world’s finest Pedro Ximénez and Oloroso sherry for nearly a century and in the skilled hands of Rafael Cabello and his team at Tonelería del Sur in Montilla, Spain, they have been given new life and purpose. Our long-standing partnership with his family-owned cooperage now provides us with one of the largest supplies of sherry casks in America.
Westland’s range of single malts is completely approachable in light of its merits. The Sherry Wood expression has won countless awards and its critical acclaim is a further testament to the quality of this distinguished whiskey.
We have our sherry casks shipped whole, which is unusual in the business of whiskey. This provides a sherry character that is still incredibly vibrant in this whiskey, but we always ensure the barley notes have an equal voice, something rarely done in Scotland.https://westlanddistillery.reservebar.com/products/westland-sherry-wood
2. Official tasting notes
- Nose: Raisins, milk chocolate and fresh malt, with a little bit of honey too.
- Palate: Pancakes with honey, icing sugar and fresh red fruits. A few more raisins for good measure.
- Finish: Crème de Cassis and vanilla-y malt.
- ABV 46%
- Age 40 Months minimum maturation
- Bottler OB
- Bottling Sherry Wood
- Cask Sherry
- Category American single malt whiskey
- Cost £65
- Origin Westland Distillery
- Region US
- Released 2013
4. What I say
Sampled during the Judgement of Westland experience at the 2021 TWE Whisky Show. A tour through the range of Westland single malt whiskies to determine if Seattle could be the equal of Scotland when it comes to the production of single malt whisky. The Sherry wood expression is matured in ex PX and Oloroso casks.
5. The Whiskyphiles tasting notes
- Colour Ruby bronze (12/20), quick, medium-large tears and numerous, fine legs.
- Nose Dried fruit; raisins, toasted oak wood, green coffee beans, apple, cherry, banana, toffee, caramel, malty biscuits and honey.
- Taste Toffee, cherry, cinnamon, quite spicy oak wood, cherry cough drops, some dark berry jam, chilli flakes, liqourice, peppery oak wood.
- Finish Medium-long, vanilla, raisins, oaky wood, cherry and menthol.
Plenty of fruit and spice delivered from the sherry wood, perhaps a touch medicated tasting with cherry cough drops. European oak wood flavours dominate the palate.
7. Score 83/100