1. What they say
This Peated Malt whiskey is a variation on our house style made from a mash of peated malt that is among the smokiest in the world. We combine that with a variety of malt-focused spirits that together create a single malt whiskey that encompasses a wide spectrum of peaty and smoky flavors without dominating the palate. The peat character is sturdy enough to satisfy the cravings of those looking for a solid dose of smoke, while malt-focused mash bills contribute grainy and fruity notes that round out the whiskey. Westland’s Peated Malt is filled primarily into new American oak and 1st-fill used American oak, resulting in a multi-dimensional and balanced peated single malt whiskey.
Westland’s single malt is completely approachable in light of its merits. The Peated expression has won countless awards, its critical acclaim, a further testament to the quality of this distinguished expression.https://westlanddistillery.reservebar.com/products/westland-peated
2. Official tasting notes
- Nose: Orange and lemon peel at first, before a wave of smoky peat rolls in.
- Palate: Smoky peanut shells and a little medicinal malt, alongside leafy mint.
- Finish: Fruity esters and a pinch of ground pepper.
- ABV 46%
- Age 40 Months minimum maturation
- Bottler OB
- Bottling Peated
- Cask American oak
- Category American single malt whiskey
- Cost £65
- Origin Westland Distillery
- Region US
- Released 2013
4. What I say
Sampled during the Judgement of Westland experience at the 2021 TWE Whisky Show. A tour through the range of Westland single malt whiskies to determine if Seattle could be the equal of Scotland when it comes to the production of single malt whisky. Peated distillate from Westland matured in American oak casks.
5. The Whiskyphiles tasting notes
- Colour Dark bronze gold (12/20), quick, medium tears and medium legs.
- Nose Sweet, malty, oily, vanilla, smokey peat, citrus orange oil, drier and more closed on the nose.
- Taste Menthol, cucumber, peaty, flinty, later sweet honey and vanilla, nutty, peanut brittle, herbal.
- Finish Banana fruit, mint leaf, peppery oak.
My favourite of the Heritage range expressions which have grown slowly over the range. Plenty of peat influence and smoke but also some estery fruits which complement well.
7. Score 84/100