Glasgow 1770 Limited Edition Ruby Port Cask Finish Cask #17/808
1. What they say
The ‘Ruby Port Cask Finish’ has an outturn of 467 bottles at 56.2% ABV
Each bottle comes with in-depth detail of the whisky within to showcase the true journey of the spirit from the malt variety used to the distillation style, original cask filling, type of finishing cask used and final bottling date.
Non-chill filtered and natural in colour, as is the standard for all Glasgow 1770 Single Malt Scotch Whiskies, these three limited edition releases are a true representation of The Glasgow Distillery’s innovative and experimental approach to whisky making.
Liam Hughes, CEO and Co-founder of the distillery commented:
“Something that sets us apart from most other distilleries is that we make three very distinct styles of single malt whisky at The Glasgow Distillery. Unpeated, peated and triple distilled spirit is a key feature of our annual production calendar and is characterised within our Glasgow 1770 Signature Range.
“With these three limited edition releases, we’re showcasing the incredible flexibility and versatility of our single malt by combining the different spirit styles with a range of interesting casks that we have been experimenting with at the distillery over the past couple of years.
“I’m really proud to be able to offer these three releases as an insight into what we get to see every day working at the distillery – innovation, experimentation and above all a commitment to quality. I hope everyone who makes a purchase chooses to open and enjoy these really interesting expressions.”
Mike Hayward, Co-founder, and Director of Distillery & Brands, commented on the different wine casks used to finish these three new releases:
“We’re excited to offer our customers a glimpse ‘behind-the-curtain’ and into the experimentations and cask-finishing trials we have been running recently. We have a really passionate and well-informed core customer base and I’m intrigued to see their reaction to these new expressions.
2. Official tasting notes
- “The ‘Ruby Port Cask Finish’ balances our sweet and fruity unpeated spirit with lovely notes of strawberries and cream, complete with a sweet spicy finish of pink peppercorns, all gained from the fresh Ruby Port Cask.
- ABV 56.2%
- Age 4 Years Old
- Bottler OB
- Bottling Limited Edition
- Cask Ruby Port cask finish
- Category Single malt scotch whisky
- Cost £50
- Origin Glasgow Distillery
- Outturn 467 bottles
- Region Lowland
- Released 2021
- Vintage 2017
4. What I say
Sampled as part of the Burn’s Night 2022 twitter tasting with Steve @TheWhiskyWiye and The Glasgow Distillery Company. Following on from their standard Triple distilled expression we moved on to some of the recently released (November 2021) Limited Editions featuring a variety of cask finishes. The first had been matured in ex-Bourbon and then finished in a Hungarian Tokaji wine cask. The second takes ex-bourbon matured Triple distilled spirit and features a finish in an ex Ruby Port Cask.
5. The Whiskyphiles tasting notes
- Colour: Pink and ruby red (14/20) quick, large tears and medium-fine legs
- Nose: Strawberries and cream, plum sauce, tart brambles and redcurrants, blackcurrant and apple, sea buckthorn, dark chocolate and vanilla.
- Taste: Touch thin and zesty, rich woodland berry jam, honey and plum sauce, red sugar dummies/strawberry rock/strawberry laces, dark chocolate, drinkable as delivered, water adds vanilla cream and softer berries, raspberry and strawberry and white chocolate
- Finish: Long, rich, red fruits and dark chocolate
There are some who rave about any whisky matured in Port casks as being excellent, however in my experience some have been either a hit or a miss. Don’t let the colour fool you as the palate doesn’t always back it up. Here however Glasgow have matured this one to perfection. Lots of juicy red fruits, touch jammy and some chocolate.