Writers Tears Inniskillen Icewine Cask
1. What they say
This is a first for Irish whiskey with the creation of an Icewine finished whiskey. Writers’ Tears – Icewine Cask Finish has been produced in collaboration with Inniskillin Winery in Niagara, Ontario, Canada’s original estate winery and leading producer of icewine.
This limited-edition release is a unique triple-distilled vatting of Single Pot Still & Single Malt whiskeys, has been finished for an additional 12 months in icewine hogsheads, before being bottled at 46% ABV.https://www.walshwhiskey.com/our-whiskeys/our-whiskeys-writers-tears/
2. Official tasting notes
- Nose: Peach & apricot over a unique Pot Still spice.
- Taste: Floral blossom & nutty oak.
- Finish: A fruit compote of mango & lychee.
- ABV 46%
- Age NAS
- Bottler Walsh Whiskey
- Bottling Single pot still
- Cask Inniskillen Icewine cask
- Category Irish whiskey
- Cost €90
- Origin Undisclosed
- Region Ireland
- Released 2021
- Vintage Undeclared
4. What I say
Writers Tears Single Pot still whisky was the opener for the #WritersTearsWhiskey Tweet Tasting hosted by Steve Rush @thewhskywire on 22nd November 2021. The second expression of the tasting featured a unique Icewine cask finish.
5. The Whiskyphiles tasting notes
- Colour Rose gold (9/20), rare, fine tears and thin legs.
- Nose Sweeter and herbal this time, thyme, sage, lemon balm, bergamot, more citric lemon oil and zest, candied peel, hint of floral lavender? lychee and seared pineapple, coconut ice.
- Taste Med-light bodied, caramel, golden syrup and lemon curd mixed, sweet, coconut ice, ginger wine, peach & apricot yoghurt with chopped roasted hazelnuts drizzled in ginger & thyme honey.
- Finish Drying and spicy with an lasting underlying sweetness, ginger and tannic?
A much more floral, fruity and fragrant expression and some great herbal influences in here too. Stone fruits play the lead here with some tropical nature later.
7. Score 85/100
Categories: Writers Tears