Writers Tears Single Pot Still
1. What they say
Originally matured in bourbon barrels, the triple-distilled, single pot still whiskey, was then further matured in Pedro Ximenez Sherry casks from Spain and Florio Marsala Hogsheads from Sicily, before being cut at a juicy 46% ABV.https://www.walshwhiskey.com/our-whiskeys/our-whiskeys-writers-tears/
2. Official tasting notes
- Nose: Candied sweetness and toffee apples.
- Taste: Notes of pot still spice and the velvet, dessert-like qualities of PX Sherry, finishing with a light chewiness.
- Finish: A lingering finish with great warmth.
- ABV 46%
- Age NAS
- Bottler Walsh Whiskey
- Bottling Single pot still
- Cask Mixed casks
- Category Single pot still Irish whiskey
- Cost €70
- Origin Undisclosed
- Region Ireland
- Released 2021
- Vintage Undeclared
4. What I say
Writers Tears Single Pot still whisky was the opener for the #WritersTearsWhiskey Tweet Tasting hosted by Steve Rush @thewhskywire on 22nd November 2021. This triple-distilled expression has been matured in a combination of ex-bourbon, PX sherry and Marsala wine casks.
5. The Whiskyphiles tasting notes
- Colour: Sercial Madiera (9/20), medium-fine tears and straight legs.
- Nose Spirity, fragrant, vanilla, furniture polish, soft brown sugar, fruity later, lemon, apple and banana, some buttery toast and more grassy cereals, maple and pecan plait and coconut mushrooms.
- Taste Light bodied, zesty, and a touch spirity, dry cinnamon spice, honey, banana, apple, grassy hay, cereal husk, lemon pith and fibrous root ginger and almond paste.
- Finish Medium, sweet with subsiding spices
A more complex expression thanks both to the use of only triple-distilled single pot still style whisky and the cask maturation combination. More developed flavours are presented from the PX and Marsala casks.
7. Score 83/100
Categories: Writers Tears
Leave a Reply