What they say
That Boutique-y Whisky Company is back with a second batch of single malt from Australia’s Black Gate! Based in New South Wales, Black Gate is operated by husband and wife duo Brian and Genise Hollingworth, with the assistance of their dachshund named Frankie, who you’ll see pictured on the label busily chasing off emus. This expression joins That Boutique-y Whisky Company’s Wine Cask Series, and was matured for three years in ex-Port casks, imparting some beautifully fruity and jammy character.
Batch 2 is a release of 345 bottles.https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/black-gate/black-gate-3-year-old-that-boutiquey-whisky-company-whisky/
What I say
Black Gate distillery is located in Mendooran in Central New South Wales, Australia. This expression was was distilled at Black Gate Distillery and matured for 3 years in ex-Port casks and bottled as part of That Boutique-Y Whisky Company’s Wine Cask Series 2021 releases.
- ABV 46.1%
- Age 3 Years Old
- Bottler That Boutique-Y Whisky Company
- Bottling Batch 2
- Cask Port Cask
- Category Single malt whisky
- Cost £109.95 from Master of Malt
- Origin Black Gate Distillery
- Outturn 345 bottles
- Region Australia
- Released 2021
- Vintage undeclared
My tasting notes
- Appearance Dark orange bronze (14/20), loose, medium tears and numerous, medium legs.
- Nose Fruity and exotic, market stalls full of fruits and Indian spices, blackcurrant and garam masala, rummy, treacle, Rum baba, cocoa powder and cinnamon.
- Taste Full bodied, treacle, some slightly more bitter notes than the nose eluded to, herbal and woody, molasses, creme caramel sauce, red grapes, sherry-like, juicy and mouthwatering, spicy, cinnamon, clove, redcurrant jelly.
- Finish Medium-long, sweet and spicy, vaporous, a spicy hit then soft honey and oak wood.
- Overall Luscious, thick and voluminous on the palate, some odd rummy and woody dunnage warehouse feel and plenty of spices. Adding water moves the spice more into the finish, plenty of thick black fruits and sugars throughout.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review
Categories: Black Gate, World Whisky
Leave a Reply