What they say
The darkest of the bunch, the Rich Blended malt is a real sherry bomb. The moment you open the bottle you discover the dark raisins, black cherries, juicy sultanas, deep orange peel and toasted cocoa nibs. Tasting the dram, you uncover blackberries, figs, soaked currants, dried dates, dark chocolate orange and hints of nutmeg and cinnamon spice. This whisky was created through the careful selection of Oloroso & Pedro Ximenez sherry casks from Jerez. The casks were coopered from American white oak, as well as Spanish oak from the northern forests of Galicia. By using butts, hogsheads and even quarter casks, we have crafted our Rich Blended malt to be a sensation for the whisky enthusiast. Bottled at 46%, unchill filtered and with no added colour, we have strived to offer you a truly rich whisky.https://jgthomson.com/rich-blended-malt-scotch-whisky/
Official tasting notes
- FLAVOUR PROFILE Rich
- ON THE NOSE Raisins, sultanas & orange peel
- TO TASTE Figs, dates & dried spices
What I say
A Blended Malt whisky from J.G. Thomson labelled Rich. Another blend of Speyside and Highland malts – perhaps the same mix even? Matured in a combination of Oloroso, Pedro Ximenez and American oak casks.
- ABV 46%
- Age Undisclosed
- Bottler J.G. Thomson
- Bottling Batch 1
- Cask n/a
- Category Blended malt Scotch Whisky
- Cost £42.50 from J.G. Thomson
- Origin undisclosed
- Outturn undisclosed
- Region Scotland
- Released 2021
- Vintage undisclosed
My tasting notes
- Appearance Sercial Madeira (9/20)
- Nose Leather, sweet pipe tobacco and molasses, boozy Christmas cakes or mince pies, rum & raisin ice cream and vanilla icing sugar.
- Taste Caramel and vanilla cream, sugary fudge, mixed Dundee & Madeira cakes, wholewheat toast spread thick with dark berry and dried fig jam, creme caramel sauce.
- Finish Long, spiced dried fruits and molasses and drying leather.
- Overall A superb festive expression, full of the flavours of Christmas or in other words a bit of a well-balanced sherry bomb.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review