What they say
It’s the second batch of Willowbank whisky from New Zealand that has been independently bottled up by That Boutique-y Whisky Company! This 18 year old expression was aged in red wine casks, resulting in loads of red fruit note brilliance. A wonderful whisky from a sadly-closed distillery.
Batch 2 is a release of 506 bottles.
Official tasting notes
- Nose: Blackberry jam on toast, earthy with a savoury touch of tobacco, a pinch of cinnamon.
- Palate: Cherry, chocolate, and brown sugar, balanced by woody tannins with a soft drying hint of baking spices.
- Finish: Red fruit sweetness and a hint of leather.
What I say
Released as part of That Boutique-Y Whisky Company’s Wine Cask series. This whisky was distilled at the now closed Willowbank distillery in New Zealand. Representing a single blend as it uses both grain and malt whisky distilled at Willowbank aged in ex-Red wine casks. Bottled at 18 years old and 50.5% ABV.
- ABV 50.5%
- Age 18 Years Old
- Bottler That Boutique-Y Whisky Company
- Bottling Batch 2
- Cask Red wine cask
- Category Single blended whisky
- Cost £159.95
- Origin Willowbank Distillery
- Outturn 506
- Region New Zealand
- Released 2021
- Vintage undisclosed
My tasting notes
- Appearance Rusty bronze ruby (16/20), slow, fine tears and legs.
- Nose Fruity, blackcurrant, elderberry, earthy and tart, brambles, raspberry, red grapes, very polished and estery, balsa wood, wood glue, Szechuan pepper, cinnamon gobstoppers, floral, dates.
- Taste Medium-bodied, continues on the balsa wood and solventy glue theme, dates and very sugary plums or sweet plum sauce, black cherries, 5 spice powder, woody oak, dark chocolate, bramble jam and liqourice root.
- Finish Long, tannic, woody, black fruits, liqourice, earthy coffee.
- Overall Lots of old wood and fruit influence as you’d expect for its age and ex-red wine cask, hints of eucalyptus in places but overall a superb woody old whisky!
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review
Categories: Willowbank, World Whisky
1 reply »