Paul John Oloroso Select Cask
What they say
A special edition of Indian single malt from the sunny Goan coasts, the Oloroso is a sensational explosion of incredible flavours. With dark mahogany hues, this exquisite expression presents an aromatic tapestry of sherry influenced fragrances of peach and apricot with a light note of molassess and blood orange. Sublimely finished in Oloroso casks, its soft flavours are filed with a nutty chocolate and Melton Hunt cake. The long finish is intense and sweet with delicious heavy spices imbibed from the Oloroso casks and melded with a dash of coffee mocha and sumptuous dark chocolate.
Official tasting notes
- Nose : Peach, apricot and light notes of molassess and blood orange.
- Taste : Soft and sweet, with nutty chocolate and Melton Hunt cake.
- Finish : Long, intense and sweet with delicious heavy spices imbibed from the Oloroso casks, a dash of coffee mocha and sumptuous dark chocolate.
- Balance : An intense and a complex single malt with a sensational explosion of incredible flavours.
- Colour : Dark Mahogany.
What I say
Paul John Oloroso edition, part of their Select Cask series sees a finishing period in ex-Oloroso casks.
- ABV 48%
- Age NAS
- Bottler Paul John (Official)
- Bottling Brilliance
- Cask Bourbon & Oloroso Sherry
- Category Single malt whisky
- Cost £69.95
- Origin Paul John Distillery
- Outturn n/a
- Region India
- Released 2021
- Vintage undisclosed
My tasting notes
- Appearance Bronze, blood red (14/20), slow, fine tears and thin legs.
- Nose Dried fruits, rich raisin, prune, a touch rubbery and also tannic oak wood, figs, earthy chocolate, coffee and cloves
- Taste Medium-light bodied, cocoa-dusted raisin and cherries, quite quiet on the palate initially, caramel, some chocolate-coated toffee poppets, cinnamon spice, woody oak, malt loaf and fruit cake later.
- Finish Medium-long, dried fruits and soft baking spices.
- Overall Good work from the Oloroso casks here with classic dried fruit and chocolate to the fore.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review