Torabhaig Allt Gleann
What they say:
Following the sold-out success of the first ever expression from Torabhaig Distillery in February this year, Legacy Series 2017, the second expression of Torabhaig single malt will be Allt Gleann – The Legacy Series. Named after the burn (stream) that flows down the side of the distillery in Teangue on the Isle of Skye, this eagerly awaited release will be bottled in small batches at 46%, and drawn from no more than 30 casks.
Allt Gleann will be the second of four expressions to be released under the Torabhaig Legacy Series, each capturing a stage on the journey from inception and youth through to coming of age and full maturity. These initial bottlings represent an opportunity for Torabhaig Distillery to develop its style and character, ahead of Torabhaig Single Malt Whisky 10 year old, due to be released in 2028.
For those who missed out on the first expression, The Legacy Series – Allt Gleann will be released in larger quantities, in four separate batches throughout 2021 and 2022. It will be more readily available through specialist whisky retailers globally, as well as in the visitor centre shop at The Distillery at Torabhaig on the Isle of Skye.
The dynamic team behind Torabhaig has been making whisky since January 2017, blending traditional and contemporary approaches to distilling. Using traditional wooden washbacks for fermentation and classic twin copper stills, Torabhaig Distillery has developed a distinctive signature style described as Well-Tempered Peat, bringing a complexity of flavour and delivering a truly exceptional, balanced character to the whisky. This signature style creates the foundation for Torabhaig’s heritage and legacy to come.
What I say
The second release from Torabhaig distillery is the 2017 vintage Allt Gleann as part of their continuing Legacy Series. Distilled from malted Concerto and Laureate barley varieties peated to 77ppm phenol in 2017 and fermented with Pinnacle MG+ and Safspirit M-1 yeast. This has been matured in a mixture of 1st fill and refill Bourbon casks and was bottled at a residual 17 ppm phenol and 46% ABV from a maximum batch of 30 casks.
Thanks to Torabhaig distillery for provision of a sample of this product.
- ABV 46%
- Age NAS
- Bottler Mossburn
- Bottling Allt Gleann
- Cask Ex-Bourbon casks
- Category Single Malt Whisky
- Cost £50
- Origin Torabhaig Distillery
- Outturn n/a
- Region Island
- Released 2021
- Vintage 2017
My tasting notes:
- Appearance Light champagne gold (3/20), tapered, medium tears and fine legs.
- Nose Gentle peat smoke, dry wood smoke or almost pipe tobacco smoke, vanilla, biscuit cereal barley, earthy and peaty, sweet and smoked scallop meat in butter, zesty, lychee.
- Taste Initially oily but light on the palate, creamy vanilla, some green apple, pear, kiwi fruit, galia melon, then some new make spirit, a touch coppery metallic, smoked sea salt and cracked black peppercorns, quite savoury, eucalyptus, more peat, smoked and salted almonds.
- Finish Long, sweet wood and peat smoke, more peppery and briny oysters and scallops.
- Overall A little sweeter with more fruit and a touch more spirity perhaps than the Legacy release, plenty of flavour here with sweet barley, smoky & peppery peat and salty coastal influences.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review
Leave a Reply