Torabhaig Legacy 2017
What they say:
- Heavily peated single malt
- First fill Bourbon casks
- Long slow fermentation and distillation
- Soft, sweet, honeyed ,fragrantly peaty nose.
- Very elegant palate with upfront coal tar, good peat smoke yet soft with an underlying creaminess.
- Well balanced finish with coal tar, fragrant peat and honeyed notes continuing.
What I say
After our tour through some of Mossburn’s vintage casks we move on to the inaugural release from only their new distillery Torabhaig on the isle of Skye. Produced from peated malted barley at 55-60 ppm this is slow fermented, slow distilled and taken at quite a high distillate cut producing a liquid in the bottle at 16 ppm. Matured in 1st fill ex-Heaven Hill Bourbon casks.
- ABV 46%
- Age NAS
- Bottler Mossburn
- Bottling Legacy Part 1
- Cask Ex-Bourbon casks
- Category Single Malt Whisky
- Cost £50
- Origin Torabhaig Distillery
- Outturn n/a
- Region Island
- Released 2021
- Vintage 2017
My tasting notes:
- Appearance Champagne gold (3/20), medium tears and medium-large legs that resolve to fine.
- Nose Grassy, cereal, barley, hay, vanilla, apple pie, mealy, porridge oats, wheat, gentle peat smoke, mineralic and coastal hints of citrus lemon and almond.
- Taste Soft, sugary, tablet, lemon barley sugars, floral heather honey, gorse flowers, creamy vanilla, toasted almond, sweet ashen peat smoke, buttery scallop meat in lemon juice.
- Finish Long, gently spiced, baking spices, coal tar, heather honey and earthy and salty peat smoke with hints of coffee grinds and liqourice.
- Overall Surprisingly soft and well-integrated there is something very much elemental about this whisky which more than resembles its closest neighbour on Skye. Definitively a product of its environment – the future looks bright at Torabhaig!
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review