Highland Park 1989 Connoisseurs Choice Cask Strength
What they say
A rich and sherried Highland Park from Gordon & MacPhail, bottled for the Connoisseurs Choice range. This was distilled in 1989, matured for 29 years in a refill sherry butt and bottled on 18 September 2018. The refill cask has added rich layers of sherry-cask flavour to Highland Park’s floral and softly smoky spirit, letting dried fruit, peaty and more delicate notes marry well and all show clearly on the palate.
Official tasting notes:
- AROMA Sherry influences infuse with deep vanilla notes and cocoa powder. stewed fruits and cinnamon persist and combine with underlying beeswax polish aromas.
- TASTE Stewed plum and cherry flavours give way to cinnamon and clove. Flashes orange peel combine with a subtle tobacco note; smoky charred oak nuances linger.
- FINISH Long with a lingering warmth; citrus highlights balance an undercurrent of charred oak.
What I say
A 1989 vintage Highland Park, matured in a refill sherry butt for 29 Years. Bottled by Gordon & MacPhail at Cask Strength for their Connoisseurs Choice range.
- ABV 57%
- Age 29 Years Old
- Bottler Gordon & MacPhail
- Bottling Connoisseurs Choice
- Cask Sherry
- Category Single malt scotch whisky
- Cost £500
- Origin Highland Park distillery
- Outturn 613 bottles
- Region Island
- Released 2018
- Vintage 1989
My tasting notes:
- Appearance Dark golden brown (16/20), medium-large tears and legs.
- Nose Nutty and fruit, sherry, raisin, dried fruit, fig, dates, leather, toffee, fudge, apples, coffee, floral heather honey, heather brush smoke, tobacco leaf, old oak wood, black tea.
- Taste Full bodied, rich, syrupy sweet, heather honey, some spice and peat smoke along with lots of red berry fruits, dates, raisins, fig jam, dark chocolate, black coffee, leather, walnut, later allspice and ginger
- Finish Long, chocolate covered walnuts, jammy red fruits, sherry and heathery peat smoke persist
- Overall Awesome, full of sherry and smoke, benefits from time and water too. Powerful sherry and sweet influence here but works really well.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review
Categories: Single malt