Bowmore 15 Years Old Darkest
- ABV: 43%
- Age: 15 Years Old
- Bottling: OB
- Category: Islay single malt scotch whisky
- Cost: £50.25
- Origin: Bowmore distillery
- Vintage: Undeclared
What they say
Matured first in bourbon barrels then Oloroso casks, there’s no finer example of a sherry cask finish than our 15 Year Old. It’s the final three years spent in Oloroso sherry casks that gives Bowmore 15 Year Old the rich, deep colour and robust warming finish.
Official tasting notes:
On The Eye: Burnt Sienna
Breathe In: Dark chocolate and raisin aromas compliment the classic Bowmore smokiness
Sip: Wonderful cedar wood and rich treacle toffee flavours
Savour: Spicy, toffee, sherry and barley
What I say
Tasted as part of the #BowmoreTimeless Tweet tasting, following the 12 Year Old with the heavily sherried 15 Year Old Darkest expression
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Bronze (13/20), medium-large, rounded tears and medium-fine legs.
- Nose: Smokey, briny, fruity, redder fruits, dried fruits, leathery, apple, toffee apple, caramel, honey
- Taste: Medium-bodied, caramel, toffee, peat smoke, quite neutral, touch of honeyed grapefruit, milk chocolate, hint of peppermint leaf.
- Finish: A little vaporous and spirity, then cinnamon, allspice, mint and a touch of salt.
Ok for me this is not really an improvement on the 12 Years Old but rather a different perspective on Bowmore, I feel this is never as overtly sherried as the colour suggests and is much more neutral.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review