Paul John Christmas Edition 2020
- ABV: 46%
- Age: NAS
- Bottling: OB
- Category: Indian single malt whisky
- Cost: £54.95
- Origin: Paul John distillery
- Vintage: Undeclared
What they say
From the sunny shores of Goa along India’s western coast, hails Paul John Christmas Edition 2020. Deep hues of gold and delicate aromas of orange peel and honeycomb enhanced with sweet oak and delicious plum cake awaken the palate. Created from an exclusive blend of single malts from virgin oak, ex-bourbon and Oloroso casks, this exotic limited release proffers deep flavours of creamy dark chocolate tinged with gentle barley and soft spices, culminating in a rich, long lightly peated and memorable finish.
Virgin Oak, Ex-Bourbon and Oloroso with a hint of Peat
Blend of single malts include unpeated from ex-bourbon casks
Unpeated from ex-oloroso casks, Unpeated from virgin oak casks and peated from ex-bourbon casks
Official tasting notes:
Colour: Deep gold
Nose: Delicate orange peel and honeycomb enhanced with sweet oak and a delicious plum cake.
Palate: Deep, creamy dark chocolate tinged with gentle barley and soft spices
Finish: Rich, long and lightly peated.
What I say
Another Christmas special Edition from Paul John whisky, bottled to celebrate Christmas 2020.
This post was sponsored by Paul John Whisky by provision of a sample of this product.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Orange gold (11/20), oily-looking medium tears and legs.
- Nose: Sweet, reduced orange peel, golden syrup, honey, a faint wisp of peat smoke, earthy, chewy, turfy, woody brown sugars, demerara, soft brown sugar, molasses, nicely balanced sweet & peat.
- Taste: Oily and full-bodied, spiced, fermented ginger, lots of syrup, sugar and honey, cracked black pepper, earthy peat, fragrant, floral roses and lychee, cooked apple and some red cherries, polished oak wood, caramel and vanilla.
- Finish: Medium-short, drying and spiced initially, mouthwatering later.
Sweet and softly peated, I already suspected a mixture of peated & unpeated casks used in the mixture here similar to some of Paul John’s standard range, strikes a really lovely balance between sweet & peat.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review
Categories: World Whisky