Benrinnes 2008 The Firkin Ten (48.9%, The Firkin Whisky Co. Madeira Cask #SC11, 305 Bottles, 2020)
- ABV: 48.9%
- Age: 11 Years Old
- Bottling: The Firkin Whisky Company
- Category: Speyside single malt scotch whisky
- Cost: £69
- Origin: Benrinnes distillery
- Vintage: 2008
What they say
We want to take you on a journey with Firkin Ten. We’ve married whisky from the Benrinnes distillery in Aberlour, Speyside with the tangy and spicy richness of Portuguese Madeira wine. Sounds crazy, but in our hand-built casks; it’s just crazy enough to work.
Our custom casks use a combination of American first-fill Bourbon staves & new French Limousin oak staves with a custom char. This Double Oak cask, in combination with the spicy richness of Madeira, creates a unique flavour profile. What emerges is rich, lively and a tad spicy.
What I say
From The Firkin Whisky Company’s Summer 2020 release this Benrinnes distillate has been finished in a custom ex-Madeira cask hand built from ex American and French oak.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Mid gold (8/20), medium-large, oily tears and medium legs.
- Nose: Sweet and musty, peach, tangerine, heather honey, sticky sweetness and floral , pastry, almond croissant, putty/linseed oil, soft toffee, Portugese custard tarts and vanilla Danish.
- Taste: Light bodied, syrupy, zesty, citric lemon and lime, grapefruit, spiced and sharp, cinnamon, white pepper, white chocolate, vanilla, lemon oil, clove, allspice and star anise.
- Finish: Medium-short, sweet and zesty, sherbet.
The result of combining Benrinnes distillate with ex-Madeira cask is a quite light and almost effervescent whisky. Sweet and peachy from the Madeira wine influence and deliciously spiced towards the end of the palate.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review