The Glenturret 12 Years Old (46%, OB, 2020)
- ABV: 46%
- Age: 12 Years Old
- Bottling: OB
- Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky
- Cost: £64.95
- Origin: Glenturret distillery
- Vintage: Undeclared
What they say
‘By Hand and Heart’ is the ethos of Glenturret and our 12 years old is a tribute to that. A whisky driven by European Oak casks which have patiently cradled the spirit from its inception 12 years ago after passing through the small batch, manual production processes which defines Glenturret. Like the many pairs of hands who have touched the life of the spirit, these oak casks quietly and slowly add their distinctive character to the whisky that matures within. Never overpowering, but enhancing and developing to give a rich, layered complexity of flavour and a deep russet colour.
Official tasting notes:
Rich FRUIT CAKE dressed with WALNUTS. Sweet APPLE and GINGER in balance enjoyed with LEMON TEA. The EUROPEAN OAK politely drives the chosen strength.
What I say
Sampled as part of #TheGlenturret tweet tasting hosted by Steve @TheWhiskyWire
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Old Sauternes (11/20), medium tears, finer, well-defined legs.
- Nose: Sweet estery, polished wood, creamy Highland toffee, linseed and lemon oil, milk chocolate orange, vanilla & apricot crown with toasted almonds, new leather
- Taste: Medium-bodied, creamy vanilla toffee, nutty almonds, figs, Dundee cake, a touch buttery, linseed oiled wood, orange zest, oak tannins
- Finish: Quite zesty and spicy following such a mellow & creamy palate, oak tannins.
I found this a little challenging on the nose with dry leather and woody tannins initially but once it has breathed a fairly classic Dundee cake/Fruit cake nature arises from the ex-European oak cask maturation.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review
Categories: Glenturret, Highland
Leave a Reply