Pere Magloire VSOP Speyside Cask Finish (40%. OB, 2020)
- ABV: 40%
- Age: VSOP, 4+ years old
- Bottling: OB, Speyside Cask Finish
- Category: Eau-de-vie de Cidre
- Cost: £n/a
- Origin: Pere Magloire distillery
- Vintage: Undeclared
What they say
Père Magloire V.S.O.P. is notable because it is made only from cider from apples harvested in the Pays d’Auge, an area covering barely 6% of Normandy. The character this soil gives the apples, combined with double distillation in copper stills, offers the V.S.O.P. richness and length. It is blended from Calvados which has been aged in century-old oak barrels for at least four years. Speyside Cask Finish 10 months.
What I say
A re-sampling of Pere Magloire VSOP as part of the Pere Magloire Calvados Cask Selection Tasting – 4th November with Royla Mile Whiskies. This VSOP has spent around 10 months finishing in ex-Tamdhu whisky cask.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Amontillado gold (10/20), numerous medium tears and fine legs.
- Nose: Rounder, still fruity apple but with a touch of cereal barley, or slightly umami, vanilla, a touch of coconut.
- Taste: Medium-bodied, apple pie, creme brulee, touch spicy, woody oak, cinnamon, nutmeg, applemint leaf, nutty marzipan and a touch of caramel and butter.
- Finish: Medium, drying, spiced and nutty.
A much sweeter and more vanillic expression following finishing in aSpeyside whisky cask, more body generate from a hint of malty cereal barley also.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review
Leave a Reply