Pere Magloire VSOP South Islay Cask Finish
- ABV: 40%
- Age: VSOP, 4+ years old
- Bottling: OB, North Islay Cask Finish
- Category: Eau-de-vie de Cidre
- Cost: £n/a
- Origin: Pere Magloire distillery
- Vintage: Undeclared
What they say
Père Magloire V.S.O.P. is notable because it is made only from cider from apples harvested in the Pays d’Auge, an area covering barely 6% of Normandy. The character this soil gives the apples, combined with double distillation in copper stills, offers the V.S.O.P. richness and length. It is blended from Calvados which has been aged in century-old oak barrels for at least four years. South Islay Cask Finish
What I say
A re-sampling of Pere Magloire VSOP as part of the Pere Magloire Calvados Cask Selection Tasting – 4th November with Royla Mile Whiskies. This VSOP has spent around 10 months finishing in ex-Laphroaig whisky cask.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Amontillado gold (10/20), numerous medium tears and fine legs.
- Nose: Sweet smokey and peaty, dried apple rings, nutty almonds, apple turnovers
- Taste: Fuller again, oilier, much more buttery, apple pie and compote, gentle peat smoke, medicinal, liquorice, clove, a touch tarry hessian ropes.
- Finish: Medium-long, drying, dried apple, honey, iodine and gentle peat smoke.
An interesting mix of peat-smoke and Calvados, quite light from the peaty whisky side which adds some darker notes of liqourice, clove and tar.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review