Pere Magloire VSOP Pays d’Auge Calvados (40%, OB, 2020)
- ABV: 40%
- Age: VSOP, 4+ years old
- Bottling: OB
- Category: Pays d’Auge Calvados
- Cost: £36.95 available from Royal Mile Whiskies
- Origin: Pere Magloire distillery
- Vintage: Undeclared
What they say
Père Magloire V.S.O.P. is notable because it is made only from cider from apples harvested in the Pays d’Auge, an area covering barely 6% of Normandy. The character this soil gives the apples, combined with double distillation in copper stills, offers the V.S.O.P. richness and length. It is blended from Calvados which has been aged in century-old oak barrels for at least four years.
Official tasting notes:
- On the nose there is a heavy apple blossom aroma followed by a delicious crisp flavour on the palate, harmoniously blending with the freshness of fruit.
What I say
A re-sampling of Pere Magloire VSOP as part of the Pere Magloire Calvados Cask Selection Tasting – 4th November with Royla Mile Whiskies.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Amontillado gold (10/20), numerous medium tears and fine legs.
- Nose: Sweet and fruity, fresh apple and slightly floral, caramel, honey, hint of nutty hazelnut and almond,
- Taste: Light-Medium bodied, soft fruits, apple puree, sweet, nutty and woody oak wood, some honey and caramel, cinnamon and nutmeg spices.
- Finish: Medium, drying, sweet, apple, honey and oak.
A lovely introductory apple/fruit-led flavour, quite light on the palate and a hint of French oak maturation.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review