Pere Magloire VSOP North Islay Cask Finish
- ABV: 40%
- Age: VSOP, 4+ years old
- Bottling: OB, North Islay Cask Finish
- Category: Eau-de-vie de Cidre
- Cost: £n/a
- Origin: Pere Magloire distillery
- Vintage: Undeclared
What they say
Père Magloire V.S.O.P. is notable because it is made only from cider from apples harvested in the Pays d’Auge, an area covering barely 6% of Normandy. The character this soil gives the apples, combined with double distillation in copper stills, offers the V.S.O.P. richness and length. It is blended from Calvados which has been aged in century-old oak barrels for at least four years. North Islay Cask Finish
What I say
A re-sampling of Pere Magloire VSOP as part of the Pere Magloire Calvados Cask Selection Tasting – 4th November with Royla Mile Whiskies. This VSOP has spent around 10 months finishing in ex-Bunnahabhain whisky cask.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Amontillado gold (10/20), numerous medium tears and fine legs.
- Nose: Sweet and floral, light and delicate, baked apple, toasted coconut, rose, honeysuckle, roasted chestnuts, buttery, nutty, and gentle smoke.
- Taste: Apple, creme brulee, salted caramel, slightly coastal, peanut brittle, earthy gentle and sweet smoke, grassy hay.
- Finish: Medium-long, tarte tatin and bakewell tart, slightly smoked.
A lovely nutty, buttery and slightly coastal nature imbued here which really compliment the sweet apple and nutty French oak nature of the core Calvados.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review