The Dalmore 12 Years Old Sherry Cask Select (43%, OB, 2020)
- ABV: 43%
- Age: 12 Years Old
- Bottling: OB
- Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky
- Cost: £69
- Origin: Dalmore distillery
- Vintage: undeclared
What they say
There’s a good argument for autumn being whisky’s optimal season: together they make the perfect match, both for cosy nights in on the sofa and for out-door fireside sipping with a hip-flask. And the colder it gets outside, the more we look for a dram that brings us plenty of warmth and spice – in that sense, the new Dalmore 12 Year Old Sherry Cask Select couldn’t arrive at a better time.
The new and delicious offering from the Highland Single Malt maker celebrates the affinity between The Dalmore and sherry – or as The Dalmore Master Distiller Richard Paterson puts it, the “union of the Scottish highlands warmth of the Andalusian sun in Spain.” The Sherry Cask Select begins its journey in American white oak ex-bourbon casks where it spends ten years maturing, laying down the foundations of the distillery’s house style: chocolate, orange and spice. The sherry finish comes from a direct collaboration between Paterson and three cask partners from Andalucia – Tevasa, Vasyma and Paez. Together they curate the perfect casks from European and American virgin oak, known for their active and extractive qualities.
A bespoke sherry blend is then created, comprised of classic and aged Oloroso and rich and sweet Pedro Ximénez wines. This unique sherry is further customised for each maker ahead of seasoning and filling the casks for a full finish of up to three years, exploiting the ability of the oak casks to soak up these wines. Once the whisky realises Richard Paterson’s flavour vision, the assemblage is brought together, gifting delicious layers of sherry, bursting with sweet fruit and decadent spice. Simply stunning.
The Dalmore 12 Year Old Sherry Cask Select comes in at 43% ABV and is described by Richard Paterson as: “Elegance personified, this whisky displays a multitude of spectacular flavours. Its full finish in Oloroso and Pedro Ximénez sherry casks reveals a more floral, light and refined side to The Dalmore. A truly decadent masterpiece!”
Official tasting notes:
- Nose Caramelised orange, ginger and sultanas, laced with honey.
- Palate Dark chocolate and crushed almonds with a dusting of cinnamon.
- Finish Sweet mangos, pannacotta and lemon sponge cake, bottled at 43% ABV.
What I say
Upon receiving this I assumed this was the standard Dalmore 12 Year Old, which like most of their range is already heavily-sherry influenced. This happens to be a new expression released September 2020 named The Dalmore 12 Years Old Sherry Cask Select and seems to be exclusive to The Whisky Shop.
This post was sponsored by Whyte & Mackay by provision of a sample of this product.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Blood red gold (15/20), well defined, medium-large tears and finer legs.
- Nose: Rich raisin and toffee, dark fruits, rich dark chocolate, nutty almond, orange zest and oil, some red berries come through, root ginger and heather honey (distillate aromas).
- Taste: initially smooth, medium-full bodied, polished dark chocolate, some candied root ginger and hint of clove spice, fibrous cocoa and coffee bean mix, sharp powdered cinnamon, some tropicality like dried mango adds to ginger dryness.
- Finish: Long, coffee grounds and brazil nuts in dark chocolate.
A classic Dalmore, from memory this does have some deeper nut/fruit/chocolate flavours in here than the standard Dalmore 12 Years Old – though it has been some time since I last tried the standard expression. I’d be interested to see at what price this retails at, though Dalmore fans will likely buy it regardless.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review