Cardhu Special Cask Reserve (40%, OB, Cs/cR.13.15, 2015)
- ABV: 40%
- Age: NAS
- Bottling: OB, Cs/cR.13.15
- Category: Speyside single malt scotch whisky
- Cost: £55.63
- Origin: Cardhu distillery
- Vintage: Undeclared
What they say
A unique and exquisite selection of the very finest aged speyside single malt whisky. Selected from very old oak casks.
What I say
After the Gold Reserve, this limited batch release of Cardhu’s Special Cask Reserve seems to have completely passed me by. A great distillery to visit but their whisky usually flies way below my radar. My best guess is ‘very old oak casks’ is marketing speak for refills?
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Amber gold (10/20), medium-large tears, long, well-defined, medium legs.
- Nose: Malty and grassy, honey, brown sugars, soft baked fruits, apple, pear, some vanilla, baked pastries, vanilla sponge cake, malted milk bicuits.
- Taste: Light-bodied, vanilla, honey, soft cereals, some white oak wood, sharp white pepper and cinnamon-like woody spice, lots of honey, thins in texture.
- Finish: Long, woody, cereals, touch of grapefruit zest and honey.
Soft and gentle, accessible if a little uninspired, some vanilla oak influence but errs towards bitterness and awful thin feeling at 40%.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review