Pere Magloire VSOP Pays d’Auge Calvados
- ABV: 40%
- Age: VSOP, 4+ years old
- Bottling: OB
- Category: Pays d’Auge Calvados
- Cost: £36.54
- Origin: Pere Magloire distillery
- Vintage: Undeclared
What they say
Père Magloire welcomes you warmly to the world of Calvados, the fruit of Normandy. Père Magloire maintains a position as the market leader brand of Calvados both in France and throughout the world.
Making Calvados requires several steps, each step calls on a know-how, a passion and specific skills. Everything begins in orchards where one grows specific apple varieties. After harvesting, these apples will leave the orchards and cider will be made. Distillation of the cider follows to create the brandy, then, the patient work of the Cellar Master begins in the secret cellars and the time of ageing has come. The apples are the pride of Normandy; the temperature climate and the undulating meadows are ideal for the production of cider apples. Single distillation can be achieved through a coloumn still or in a traditional pot still for double distillation, the first distillation is known as ‘Petite Eau’ and the second as ‘Bonne Chauffe’. After distillation the young Calvados enters into the maturing phase in oak barrels. During the ageing the mysterious exchange between the Calvados, air and the tannins of the wood give the distilled spirit its colour, complexity and roundness.
Père Magloire V.S.O.P. is notable because it is made only from cider from apples harvested in the Pays d’Auge, an area covering barely 6% of Normandy. The character this soil gives the apples, combined with double distillation in copper stills, offers the V.S.O.P. richness and length. It is blended from Calvados which has been aged in century-old oak barrels for at least four years.
Official tasting notes:
- On the nose there is a heavy apple blossom aroma followed by a delicious crisp flavour on the palate, harmoniously blending with the freshness of fruit.
What I say
Pere Magloire is one of the largest/well-marketed brands of Calvados widely available. The brand home was recently refurbished into The Calvados Experience, akin to Scotch Whisky level marketing. Located in Pont L’Eveque in the heart of the Pays d’Auge region. I’ve previously sampled Pere Magloire XO purchased at a reasonable price in the supermarket in France – mostly because it also cam with a pair of glasses to drink it with. This time I’m revisiting Pere Magloire and sampling the VSOP vs XO expressions.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Dark yellow gold (11/20), numerous medium tears and tapered legs.
- Nose: Sweet and fresh intially, becomes a little cloying, apple, almond, tarte tatin and a little bakewell tart, nutty hazelnut, caramel, honey, apple pie and apple blossom.
- Taste: Sharper and woodier on the palate than the nose, nutty/russet apples, a touch of citrus lemon/lime, woody spices, clove and cinnamon, chestnuts and oak wood.
- Finish: Medium, leathery/tannic and drying, sweetness persists.
Enjoyable, packed full of fruit and oak as you would expect, a touch of leathery tannins add spice and dryness.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review