Bowmore 26 Years Old 1989 Mission Gold
- ABV: 50.4%
- Age: 26 Years Old
- Bottling: Murray McDavid, Mission Gold, Cask #3
- Category: Islay single malt scotch whisky
- Cost: £sold out
- Origin: Bowmore distillery
- Vintage: 1989
What they say
Single cask Bowmore, presented as part of Murray McDavid’s illustrious Mission Gold indie bottling series! It was distilled in 1989, initially matured in a bourbon barrel and finished in a Chateau Latour wine cask until it was bottled in October 2015. A release of just 298 bottles, presented at 50.4% ABV.
Official tasting notes:
- Nose: The wine cask makes itself know right away with juicy red grapes and seductive sweetness. Soon enough, the classic Bowmore peat begins to take hold…
- Palate: This continues on the palate, with the smoky, medicinal peat taking the lead. Dark fruits surround the malt, with a touch of fiery cinnamon developing.
- Finish: A lasting, creamy finish.
What I say
Sadly all too often overlooked, I have been dissappointed by too many OB Bowmore’s of late, though still have fond memories of their 18 Year old sampled at the distillery bar a good few years ago now. Delighted to have the chance to taste this well figured sample, without realising this had been finished for around 5 years in a Chateau Latour red wine cask, well initially anyway.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Dark blood orange gold (13/20), medium-large tears, medium legs.
- Nose: Tannic, sherry, red grapes, cherries, raisins, rancio, spun sugar, caramel, earthy and turfy/peaty, crystalline sugars, aged oak, antique shop.
- Taste: Full bodied, brown sugar crystals, dried fruits, earthy peat, red grapes, cherries, bakewell tart, raspberry, liqourice, bitter, cinnamon, fiery oak chips.
- Finish: Long, spiced and sweet, roast beef and red wine jus with distant smoke.
Fruity, red wine tannins, earthy smoke and perhaps just a little over-spiced on the finish, I think it is fair to say I massively enjoyed this Bowmore though I am quite partial to red wine finishes done well.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review