Pere Francois VS Calvados (40%, OB, 2016)
- ABV: 40%
- Age: 2-3 Years Old
- Bottling: OB
- Category: Calvados
- Cost: £20
- Origin: Calvados Pere Francois
- Vintage: Undeclared
What they say
This is the VS Calvados from the Père Francoise, a good entry level expression for those of you looking for a yummy alternative digestif spirit. This has been aged in Limousin oak casks.
What I say
Almost certainly sourced Calvados. Pere Francois is a pretty eponymous brand, though at times it has been attributed to and bottled under the ‘Pere Francois distillerie’ also – it appears both are trademarks registered to the Cognac House Maison Gautier Cognac.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Full gold (9/20), quick, medium tears, long, loose legs.
- Nose: Fresh, juicy and fruity apples with plenty of cinnamon, esters and polish, woody oak, banana, pear drops, hazelnut, fennel, fresh, green herbs & green apples.
- Taste: Thin and a little spirity, touch of buttery oil texture, mostly sweet apple, pear, estery foam banana sweeties, touch of sappy and polished oak.
- Finish: Short, cinnamon spiced bubblegum and honey/sugar water.
Young and straightforward, good base flavours and sweet enough to be pleasant with a touch of wood & spice.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review