- ABV: 40%
- Age: 2 Years Old
- Bottling: OB
- Category: Calvados
- Cost: £33.75 available from The Whisky Exchange
- Origin: Avallen Spirits Co.
- Vintage: Undeclared
What they say
Avallen is a Calvados, a traditional cider brandy made from apples and produced under strict rules in Normandy, France. You could say that Calvados is to Normandy what single malt Scotch is to Scotland. Apples are the heart and soul of Avallen, with 40 different varieties used from 300 different orchards, all located in the heart of La Manche, Normandy. We love apples so much, even our labels are made from them! In a category dominated by old-fashioned producers, Avallen represents a younger, fresher and more apple-filled future. Forget spice and dry fruit flavours. Avallen is floral, fruity, and proudly apple-forward. Appealing to everyone from gin drinkers when served long with tonic, to those who enjoy their spirits brown, or even fruity cocktail fans, Avallen is perfect for mixing, as a refreshing spritz, or simply for sipping. Produced entirely in the West of Normandy, Avallen is aged for two years in French oak before being bottled with no added sugar, caramel or boisé.
Official tasting notes:
- NOSE: Fresh apples with floral honeysuckle
- BODY: A lingering toffee apple finish
- FINISH: Richly warming with a hint of vanilla custard
What I say
The first perhaps? of a new wave of Calvados producers, and firmly focused on sustainability and bees! The recent trend for smaller producers was via the mythical Calvados de la Ferme – or Farm produced Calvados, registering small Farm-based production or as part of the AB Agriculture Biologique (Organic Farming) legislation.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Bright gold with green highlights (6/20), large tears and thick legs.
- Nose: Fresh, sweet honey, gentle, cider apple, pear, boozy brut cider, floral, blossom, honeysuckle.
- Taste: Sweet and gentle, medium-light bodied, fresh apple, soft & buttery shortcrust pastry, some citric zest and peach, touch of cinnamon, vanilla, oak wood.
- Finish: medium-long, soft baked fruit and buttery pastry, apple turnovers.
A very light and accessible Calvados from Avallen, refreshing and fruity, ideal!
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review