Loch Lomond The Open Special Edition 2019
- ABV: 46%
- Age: NAS
- Bottling: OB, The Open Special Edition 2019
- Category: Highland single malt Scotch Whisky
- Cost: £37 available from lochlomondwhiskies.com
- Origin: Loch Lomond Distillery
- Vintage: Undeclared
What they say
TO CELEBRATE LOCH LOMOND WHISKIES’ PARTNERSHIP WITH THE OPEN, GOLF’S ORIGINAL CHAMPIONSHIP. OUR “DISTILLERS CUT” EDITION HAS BEEN CREATED BY OUR MASTER BLENDER MICHAEL HENRY WHO HAS SELECTED A COMBINATION OF SPIRITS, ALL WITH THEIR OWN INDIVIDUAL CHARACTER FROM OUR UNIQUE STRAIGHT NECK POT STILLS, DELIVERING AN APPROACHABLE SINGLE MALT OF EXCEPTIONAL QUALITY.
THE SPIRIT HAS BEEN MATURED IN THREE TYPES OF AMERICAN OAK CASKS, MANAGED BY OUR ONSITE COOPERAGE TO ENSURE THE DISTINCT FRUIT CHARACTER IS MAINTAINED AND IS BEAUTIFULLY BALANCED WITH HINTS OF PEAT AND SMOKE.
Official tasting notes:
- Nose: Soft fruits, peach and pear, with vanilla syrup.
- Palate: Sweet and fruity. Honey and peach, some orange citrus and creamy vanilla.
- Finish: Medium length, a touch of smoke gives way to lasting fruit notes.
What I say
This special edition ‘Distiller’s Cut’ was bottled in 2019 by Loch Lomond distillery to celebrate their partnership with The Open Golf Championship. Previously partnered with Glenmorangie this really is a prestigious association for Loch Lomond and reinforces their substantial brand redesign and marketing.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Dark orange amber gold (11/20), oily, medium tears and long, medium legs.
- Nose: Sweet peach and apricot, stone fruits, fragrant and floral, blossom, apricot jam/turnovers, peach cobbler and plenty of sweet vanilla.
- Taste: Sweet, heather honey, more apricot and apple jam plus some orange zest, sharp and citric, honey cakes, some vanilla, ginger and cinnamon spice, toffee, oak wood.
- Finish: Medium-long, honey, vanilla, peach cobbler and vanilla ice-cream.
A lovely stone fruit nature to this with plenty of peach and apricot complemented by some great oak cask influence also.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review
Categories: Single malt