Darkness 8 Years Old
- ABV: 47.8%
- Age: 8 Years Old
- Bottling: Darkness, Master of Malt
- Category: Single malt scotch whisky
- Cost: £49.95
- Origin: Undisclosed distillery
- Vintage: Undeclared
What they say
At the core of this Darkness expression is an 8 year old single malt Scotch whisky which has been matured in ex-bourbon barrels. Following that, the whisky is moved over to custom-made Oloroso sherry octave casks for at least three months. Small casks make for a vastly increased surface area to volume ratio compared to the much larger sherry butts, leading to more cask influence and more of those intense sherried notes we’ve all come to know and love. Darkness 8 Year Old is a continuous release from the range that was previously built around very limited edition bottlings, though the name of the game hasn’t changed – big ol’ helpings of sherried deliciousness await you!
Official tasting notes:
- Nose: Candied orange peels, chocolate peanuts, cooking spice warmth and some dried cherry.
- Palate: Amaretti biscuits, subtly toasty hints, powerful raisin and prune, just a touch of earthy oak lingers.
- Finish: Slightly oily with a hint of smoke, though chocolatey hints persist.
What I say
Sampled during the Darkness Instagram Live tasting with Kristianne Sherry and Dr Sam Simmons from Master of Malt on 15th April 2020.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Dark orange gold (13/20), medium-large tears & legs.
- Nose: Meaty and sherried, raisin, beef in a glass, tart orange zest and peel, slightly acerbic, balsamic vinegar, fruitier, robust but not quite rubbery, malty, chocolate and vanilla.
- Taste: Fruity and a touch tannic, spiced, a little thin on the palate and again acerbic, malt, nut, chocolate, raisin, a little abrasive now perhaps, damson jelly.
- Finish: Spiced and woody, oily, touches of earthy smoke and cask char.
A little bit young and forced, needs a lot more polishing for my liking. Once it breathes much more of the more pleasant sherry influence comes out but needs time/careful watering.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review