Mortlach 31 Years Old 1987 Connoisseurs Choice (54%,Gordon & MacPhail, Refill Sherry HH #425, 200 Bottles, 2018)
- ABV: 54%
- Age: 31 Years Old
- Bottling: Gordon & MacPhail, Connoisseurs Choice, Refill Sherry HH #425, 18/061
- Category: Speyside single malt scotch whisky
- Cost: sold out
- Origin: Mortlach distillery
- Vintage: 1987
What they say
DISTILLED Thursday, February 5, 1987
BOTTLED Tuesday, July 3, 2018
YEARS OLD 31
CASK NO. 425
CASK TYPE Refill Sherry hogshead
OUTTURN 200 bottles
Official tasting notes:
- Nose A fireside dram; rich Sherry harmonises with stewed raisins, prunes, sticky dates, and cinder toffee. Dark chocolate and liquorice aromas develop.
- Taste Sumptuous and smooth; warming cinnamon and clove notes linger in the background. Candied orange peel enhances flavours of marzipan covered dark fruitcake.
- Finish Creamy and lingering; charred oak leads into slightly drying cocoa powder.
What I say
Distilled at Mortlach distillery in Speyside and matured in a refill sherry hogshead #425 for 31 years before bottling in 2018 at 54% ABV.
This post was sponsored by Gordon & MacPhail by provision of a sample of this product.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Dark Auburn (18/20) quick, medium tears and fine legs.
- Nose: Meaty, sherry, raisin, hints of struck matches/sulphur, black and dark/dried fruits, molasses, woody oak, tobacco, blackberry jam, dark chocolate-covered raisins, plum.
- Taste: Earthy dark chocolate, toasted rye bread, tobacco, coffee grounds, raisin, plum, blackberry, black coffee, cherry liqueur, charred wood and wood smoke.
- Finish: Long, raisins, black tea, coffee, malty.
A superbly aged and sherried Mortlach. Has that slightly smoky and fireworks/struck match quality that belies the age and production process of this malt. Overtly sherried but not overly woody, more chewy and earthy along with that smoke. Superb.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review