Chauffe Coeur Reserve VSOP Calvados (43%, OB, 2019)
- ABV: 43%
- Age: 6 Years Old
- Bottling: OB
- Category: Calvados
- Cost: £32.56 available from Amazon
- Origin: Martayrol Calvados
- Vintage: Undeclared
What they say
Made by Martayrol, a family distiller with orchards and a distillery in the village of Cambremer, both lying in the heart of the Pays d”Auge. However, Calvados Chauffe Coeur is not AOC Pays d’Auge because it is a blend comprising Calvados Appellation (single distillation) and Pays d’Auge (double distillation) apple brandies. Chauffe Coeur VSOP is aged in 120 litre Limousin oak barrels for 6 years.
What I say
A VSOP (6+ year old) Calvados hailing from the village of Cambremer. As Cambremer is also home to Calvados Piere Huet, I originally thought this was sourced distillate but turns out it is another local producer using fruit from their own orchards.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Dark orange gold (11/20), quick, medium-large tears, long medium legs.
- Nose: Fruity apple and caramel oak, plum, grapefruit, muscat wine, mixed herbs, fennel and cinnamon, walnut, butterscotch, resinous and dry oak wood and molasses.
- Taste: Light bodied, apple and blackberry jam, plum compote, a touch of citric lemon juice, fennel, sorrel, walnut, lightens on the palate to sappy/resinous wood, chocolate.
- Finish: Medium, juicy, woody oak, chocolatey.
Deliciously tart fruit and spicy oak wood, becomes chocolatey, a great aperitif as it is light in both body and palate.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review