Glengoyne Legacy Series Chapter 1
- ABV: 48%
- Age: NAS
- Bottling: OB
- Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky
- Cost: £55.84 from Master of Malt
- Origin: Glengoyne Distillery
- Vintage: undeclared
What they say
Delve into the first chapter of the Legacy Series as we celebrate where it all began for Glengoyne’s renowned character. Discover the captivating story of Cochrane Cartwright – Glengoyne’s Distillery Manager from 1869 – the father of the Distillery’s unhurried spirit..
Chapter One’s stunning flavour notes are all down to the heart matured in first fill European oak Oloroso sherry casks combined with our prized refill casks. This spirit has developed a fruity, sweet quality – a hallmark characteristic of all Glengoyne whiskies, as influenced by Cochrane.
On the palate, discover a rich flavour profile of sweet sherry, vanilla and dried fruits. Add a drop or two of water to reveal bold, spicy notes that linger on into a long, balanced finish.
Chapter One in our Legacy Series pays homage to Cochrane Cartwright and his vision for Glengoyne. Not only did the 1869 Distillery Manager dramatically slow down distillation, but he famously first introduced sherry casks to Glengoyne.
As one of the key figures in shaping the Distillery’s unhurried nature, it’s only right that Cochrane is celebrated with a whisky crafted just the way he would’ve wished it to be…
What I say
The Glengoyne Legacy Series Chapter 1 was released early 2019. A new range from Glengoyne, the Legacy series highlights figures of historical importance who have shaped or influenced Glengoyne. Chapter 1 was released without an age-statement but details maturation in first fill and refill Oloroso sherry casks, something Glengoyne is famed for.
This review was sponsored by Glengoyne by provision of a sample of this product.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Ruby autumnal gold (13/20), slow-forming, numerous, fine tears and slight legs.
- Nose: Deep and rich, honey sweet, warming and gently spiced, nutmeg and cinnamon, fig, red fruits, leathery/tannic but also juicy red apple, pear, marzipan and orange oil/zest leading to sticky toffee pudding.
- Taste: Soft and sugary on the palate, a hint buttery and zesty also, dried fruit cake, ginger, orange zest/peel, caramel, figgy pudding, a woody oak edge, full-bodied, thick and rich vanilla custard over sticky toffee pudding.
- Finish: Long, caramel sauce, spiced fruit cake, woody oak.
Wonderfully rich and full of character, plenty of Oloroso sherry cask but a little fruity distillate character still shine through, superb!
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review