Clynelish 18 Years Old 1993 Montgomerie’s Rare Select (46%, Montgomerie’s, Cask #7553, 2012)
- ABV: 46%
- Age: 18 Years Old
- Bottling: Montgomerie’s, The Single Cask Collection – Rare Select, Cask #7553
- Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky
- Cost: £sold out
- Origin: Clynelish distillery
- Vintage: 1993
What they say
Independent bottlings of Clynelish remain popular for the simple reason that they taste amazing. If you like fruity whiskies with a little salt and smoke, this could be your thing.
Official tasting notes:
- Waxy fruit, vanilla, sea salt and a whiff of smoke lead to peaches and nectarines on the palate with a slight saltiness which leads into a long fulfilling finish.
What I say
Another Clynelish I paired against the last sample (TBWC 21yo batch #7) as a comparator. This was distilled 11th August 1993 and matured in a single cask #7553 for 18 years before bottling June 2012 by Montgomeries as part of their Single Cask collection – The Rare Select.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: White wine gold (5/20), medium-large tears and long, thick legs.
- Nose: Very sweet and suagry with beeswax, honey, gentle stewed apples, peach, caramel, toffee, woody oak, vanilla, toasted coconut, faint aniseed like aniseed balls or gobstopper (hint of cinnamon?) sweeties.
- Taste: Floral, drying linen, white flowers, apples, honey, waxy, mineralic salt and limestone/chalk, smoky, salted almonds, zesty citrus pith, sharp nutmeg, cinnamon and more aniseed balls, are later joined by earthy mint leaf and a touch of camphor or eucalyptus wood & mothballs.
- Finish: Long, vaporous, spiced honey.
Much deeper and sharper than the previous expression with lots of lovely zesty spices, this feels much more mature than the last one despite being younger?
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review