Secret Islay PX finish
- ABV: 57.8%
- Age: 11 Years Old
- Bottling: Lady of the Glen, Bourbon Hogshead #7c, PX octave finish
- Category: Islay single malt scotch whisky
- Cost: £112 available from Lady of the Glen
- Origin: Undisclosed Islay distillery
- Vintage: 2009
What they say
- Age of Whisky: 10 years old
- Alcohol by Volume: 57.8
- Size of Bottle: 70cl
- Cask Yield: 66
- Cask: #7c Bourbon Hogshead with Pedro Ximenez Sherry finish
Distilled on Islay and matured in a Bourbon cask for ten years, fifty litres were then taken and finished in a small Ex Pedro Ximenez Octave from Josafer Tanoaria.
Original distilled on the 16th of August 2009 in a bourbon hogshead for ten years and bottled after finishing on the 7th of January 2020. We are not allowed to reveal the name of the distillery as part of the agreement for the purchase of the stock.
Our PX octaves are sourced from a family-owned bodega near Porto in Portugal. PX casks on the nose are extremely rich with predominantly sweet notes of dried fruits such as raisins, figs and dates, accompanied by the aromas of honey, grape syrup, jam and candied fruit, at the same time reminiscent of toasted coffee, dark chocolate, cocoa and liquorice. Velvety and syrupy in the mouth and yet with enough acidity to mitigate the extreme sweetness and warmth of the alcohol leading to a lingering, tasty finish.
As an octave, this cask only yielded 66 bottles which were bottled at cask strength 57.9%
The tasting revealed Salted caramel, sea shells and turf
What I say
Sampled during the Lady of the Glen 1st Outurn tasting 2020 held at Young Spirits, Edinburgh with Gregor Hannah.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Mid gold (9/20),
- Nose: Peat-smoke, earthy peaty turf, seashore, briny, coastal and sweat malt.
- Taste: Medium-full bodied, peaty, almond, marzipan, fudge, nut brittle, soft sugary flavours complement the peat influence, almost creosote-like (reminds me of Laphroaig with all this nutty peat nature).
- Finish: Long, sugary sweet, nutty, peat.
Sweet, coastal and peaty, quite easy drinking and enjoyable.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review