Glen Moray vintage 2008 PX finish (54.3%, LOTG, Bourbon HH #5585B, 59 Bottles, 2020)
- ABV: 54.3%
- Age: 12 Years Old
- Bottling: Lady of the Glen, Bourbon Hogshead, #5585B, PX octave finish
- Category: Speyside single malt scotch whisky
- Cost: £78 available from Lady of the Glen
- Origin: Glen Moray distillery
- Vintage: 2008
What they say
- Age of Whisky: 12 years old
- Alcohol by Volume: 54.3
- Size of Bottle: 70cl
- Cask Yield: 59
- Cask: #5585B Bourbon Hogshead with Pedro Ximenez Sherry finish
Distilled at Glen Moray and matured in a Bourbon cask for 12 years, fifty litres were then taken and finished in a small Ex Pedro Ximenez Octave from Josafer Tanoaria.
Original distilled on the 1st of July 2008 in a bourbon hogshead for 12 years and bottled after finishing on the 7th of January 2020.
Our PX octaves are sourced from a family-owned bodega near Porto in Portugal. PX casks on the nose are extremely rich with predominantly sweet notes of dried fruits such as raisins, figs and dates, accompanied by the aromas of honey, grape syrup, jam and candied fruit, at the same time reminiscent of toasted coffee, dark chocolate, cocoa and liquorice. Velvety and syrupy in the mouth and yet with enough acidity to mitigate the extreme sweetness and warmth of the alcohol leading to a lingering, tasty finish.
As an octave, this cask only yielded 59 bottles which were bottled at cask strength 54.3%
The tasting revealed Cloves, cinnamon bun and mixed peel
What I say
Sampled during the Lady of the Glen 1st Outurn tasting 2020 held at Young Spirits, Edinburgh with Gregor Hannah.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Dark autumnal red (16/20)
- Nose: Toasted oak, caramel, figs, molasses, treacle toffee.
- Taste: Medium-bodied, rich toffee and smooth caramel, figgy pudding with toffee sauce, resinous pine sap, coffee ground and dark chocolate, some floral lavender.
- Finish: Sharp, raisin and red grapes.
A deliciously finished Glen Moray expression retaining some lovely toffee/caramel nature and plenty of oak wood influence on the chocolatey PX finish.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review